Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  
  U15 Leinster league 06/11/10

New Ross 7 Kilkenny 48

Third time lucky for Kilkenny Under 15s as they registered an emphatic away win in this Leinster League game on a calm, mild morning.

After 10 minutes where they dominated possession, Kilkenny were awarded a penalty 10 metres into the New Ross half. From the tap No. 8 Matthew McWey stormed to the 22, the ball was whipped out to centre Kevin Mullen and he hared up the touchline to score by the right corner flag.

Ten minutes later and from a line out on their own 22 New Ross failed to find touch with a clearance. Left wing Luke Rafter snapped up the loose kick, skinned two defenders and when the ball was given to centre Mullen he raced in to score again, this time in the left corner.

On 28 minutes New Ross were attacking in the Kilkenny half when scrum half Ian Buckley made a great charge down on an attempted chip by the home side’s out half. The ubiquitous Mullen scooped up the ball and when he was tackled on the 22 open side Aiden McDonald, Kilkenny’s top tackler on the day, was on his shoulder to keep the move alive. Two thundering runs from props Eoin Clarkson and Mark Carrigan saw the latter crash over for Kilkenny’s third try.

Straight from the kick off front row colleagues Clarkson and hooker Ben Devlin drove the ball deep into New Ross territory and fed second row Noel Whelan on a great burst. Whelan found Matthew McWey in support and McWey, who shone as a player and captain all game, gave a beautiful pass to Luke Rafter who showed great acceleration to score in the corner and leave the half time score at 20 points to 0 in favour of Kilkenny.

In a thrilling start to the second half straight running and slick passing from Kevin Mullen and forwards Devlin, Whelan and Clarkson saw skipper McWey driving for the line from 10 metres out. When he was tackled just short he offloaded expertly to his supporting out half Jake McDonald who dived over to the right of the posts.

After 5 minutes a move featuring a scything 50 metre run from David Jordan was stopped only by a forward pass 15 metres from the New Ross line. However Kilkenny took the strike against the head in the resulting scrum and McWey burst over for a try brilliantly converted from the right touchline by Kevin Mullen.

Ten minutes later McWey was touching down for his second try after gathering a clearance kick 30 metres out and sprinting to the line. 5 minutes from the end of the game he turned provider again when passing to Kevin Mullen after a powerful 30 metre run and Mullen clinically accepted the opportunity to score his third try and Kilkenny’s final score of the game. A last minute consolation score for a game New Ross team left the final score at 48 points to 7 to Kilkenny.

SQUAD:- Eoin Clarkson, Ben Devlin, Mark Carrigan, Shane O’Carroll, Noel Whelan, Daniel O’Connor(No. 6), Matthew McWey, Aiden McDonald, Ian Buckley, Jake McDonald, David Jordan, Kevin Mullen, Luke Rafter, Declan McCarthy, Peter Hutchison, John Hanrick, Jim Moore, Shawn Fitzgerald, Brendan McSorley, Daniel Rafter, Marcus Stapleton, Daniel O’Connor( Full Back)

Niall McDermott, 06 November 2010