Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  

U15 Leinster Cup Quarter Final

Kilkenny 38 Carlow 11

On a dry, sunny morning Kilkenny showed they had learned well from two early season defeats to a fine Carlow team with a convincing victory in this Leinster Cup quarter final match.

The home team applied constant pressure from the kick off, quickly winning two scrums and two line outs and launching a series of punishing runs from second row pair Cian Smith and Tom Cuddihy, No. 8 Matthew McWey and the consistently excellent David Jordan at centre, before Smith popped the ball to Noel Whelan and the tireless blind side crashed over for the first score after 5 minutes.

Seven minutes later and a Carlow attack was turned over after an eye watering double tackle by Jordan and hooker Ben Devlin. McWey kicked the ball to touch inside the Carlow half where Kilkenny stole the ensuing throw in. Another string of rampaging forward runs followed from Cuddihy, prop Eoin Clarkson and two from the immensely powerful Smith, on the second of which he dived over by the posts.

Carlow reminded the large crowd of their quality over the next ten or 15 minutes by probing deep into Kilkenny territory and forcing two penalties, both of which they successfully kicked.

Kilkenny relieved the pressure just before half time when Cuddihy won another lineout in his own 22 and fed McWey to chip over the onrushing defenders. David Jordan chased hard and brilliantly won back the ball for his centre partner Kevin Mullen who raced into the Carlow half before kicking ahead. Right wing Conor Delaney followed up well, tackling the Carlow full back and forcing a penalty. A quick tap to Tom Cuddihy and the big second row was soon crashing over for the try that left Kilkenny leading by 19 points to six at the break.

After ten minutes of the second half Kilkenny scored a team try that would grace any game. Ben Devlin fielded a kick in his own 22 before dummying a would be tackler and sending a raking kick to touch just inside his own half. Kilkenny won the lineout and Smith, Jordan and McWey raced to the 22 where full back Peter Hutchinson was on hand to draw the last defender and send Kevin Mullen in for a great score. Kilkenny closed out the game with two more tries in the next ten minutes. For the first, captain McWey executed a classic No. 8 pick and drive from a scrum 15 metres out to score under the posts. From the kick off Cian Smith drove into the Carlow half, fed Tom Cuddihy who charged 40 metres and, when he was tackled, Noel Whelan was on his shoulder to burst over for his side’s last score.

Carlow got a consolation try with a couple of minutes to go but a real team effort, epitomised by a great defensive display from David Jordan, should send Kilkenny into the semi final confident that they are a match for any team on their day.


Squad:- Eoin Clarkson, Ben Devlin, Jason Hoyne, Tom Cuddihy, Cian Smith, Noel Whelan, Aiden McDonald, Matthew McWey, Ian Buckley, Jake McDonald, David Jordan, Kevin Mullen, Luke Rafter, Conor Delaney, Peter Hutchinson, Daniel O’Connor, Shane O’Carroll, John Hanrick, Jim Moore, Shawn Fitzgerald, Michael Ryan, Lyndon Brannigan

Niall MCDermott, 27th March 2011