Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  

U13 FRIENDLY 26/09/09

Kilkenny 42-07 Tullow
On a fine, windless day Kilkenny Under-13s got their first 15 a side game on a full pitch off to a great start against a strong Tullow team when a turnover, won by Aiden McDonald near the right hand touchline, was spun quickly out the back line for full back Daniel O'Connor to sprint over for a try after four minutes.

Just four minutes later and two bullocking runs by No. 8 Daniel O'Connor and lock Eoin Clarkson led to Doc crashing over for another score. Both of these scores, along with each subsequent try, were converted by out half Jake McDonald who finished the game with a 100% place kicking record.

Tullow fought their way back into Kilkenny's 22 after their early setbacks but a threatening move was ended by a fine tackle from hooker Marcus Stapleton, the ball turned over at the ruck by No. 7 Aiden McDonald and again swiftly transferred to flying full back O'Connor whose thrilling 60 metre run was halted when he was tackled into touch inside the Tullow 22.

Fierce Kilkenny pressure at the ensuing line out led to another turnover which the ever alert Aiden McDonald turned into a third try with only 18 minutes gone.

Tullow's kickoff after the conversion was taken by big Daniel O'Connor who made a good 50 metres before being eventually hauled down and the ball scrambled into touch by desperate Tullow defence. Second row Clarkson reached highest for the lineout throw before driving over the line for try number 4.

The first half finished after an excellent catch from an up and under followed by a flashing break and offload from wing Lyndon Brannigan.

Great credit to Tullow, turning around 28-0 down didn't diminish their appetite for the game and only a last ditch tackle by No. 8 O'Connor prevented them from starting the second half with a try after only 2 minutes. This proved a real wake up call for Kilkenny who 4 minutes later drove into the Tullow half, presented scrum half Ian Buckley with lovely ball and three swift passes later centre Michael Ryan scorched in from 30 metres out for try number 5.

Kilkenny tails were well up now and 5 minutes later another well rucked ball was whipped out the line by Buckley, out half McDonald and, finally, centre William Spencer for No. 13 Ryan to score his second try courtesy of two glorious sidesteps.

A combination of understandable defensive confusion due to a stream of 2nd half Kilkenny replacements and a never-say-die attitude by the visitors led to Tullow scoring their only try of the match from a 5 metre scrum with 55 minutes gone.

Finn Connolly capped a good game at lock by stopping another Tullow gallop with a great chase and tackle and, with only a minute to go, No. 6 Jay Leahy was agonisingly close to scoring after a powerful 15 metre burst, before being double tackled into touch at the corner flag.

Kilkenny were not to be denied however and the final act of an exciting game of hard, fair rugby saw Eoin Clarkson charge over from short range for his second, and Kilkenny's 7th, try.

Next game is Sat. Oct 3rd,away to New Ross in the South East league. Kick off time to be confirmed.

26 September 2009