Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  
  J1: Leinster League, Saturday, 29/9/12

Kilkenny                 19

Malahide                 12       

by Padraic Treacy

The autumn sunshine brought a huge crowd to the Open Day in Kilkenny Rugby Club on Saturday and they were treated to a feast of rugby provided by the mini, youths and senior sections.

The minis entertained the crowd in the run up to the senior sides Leinster League opening matches against Malahide. The game of rugby itself was indeed the winner on the day and it was a joy to witness the stars of the future produce some fast flowing and superb rugby. The minis (and some of the adults) were treated to a Bouncy Castle and a well-deserved supply of food and drinks from the barbecue for their contribution to the festivities.

The minis accompanied both senior teams onto the pitch for the kick-off of this eagerly awaited Leinster League tie. With the minis also providing the water carrying duties for their senior heroes, Kilkenny Firsts kicked off and piled on the pressure from the start. Six minutes into the game Julian Hughes opened the scoring for Kilkenny with a fine penalty kick following an offside infringement in the Malahide 22. Hughes was called on again five minutes later to add a further 3 points when the visitors were again caught offside in practically the same position.

With a six point lead, Kilkenny looked comfortable and the forwards took on a bigger role in the fracas. Prop Eddie Brennan repeatedly took on the Malahide defence with driving runs and supported by his teammates it was only a matter of time before the Malahide defence would crumble.

Kilkenny were awarded a scrum on the Malahide 5-metre line. With the scrum roaring forwards, No.8 Philly Ryan picked the ball from the back of the scrum and offloaded to his flanker Willie Duggan who drove for the line. Scrumhalf Clive Kavanagh popped the ball to Eddie Brannan who again dived for the line. Malahide stopped him in his tracks and Kavanagh flipped the ball wide. Malahide raced across to cover and just managed to stop Alan Pembroke from touching down however the ball was reproduced quickly and Duggan crashed over the line with the aid of his fellow forwards who were there in numbers to assist.

Hughes added the conversion and Malahide heads began to dip. Kilkenny kept up the pressure and with 5 minutes left on the clock Malahide were again penalised giving Hughes the opportunity to stretch the lead by a further 3 points. The half time whistle blew and Kilkenny soaked up the 16 – 0 half time advantage.

Malahide came out in the second half with new vigour but Kilkenny were not having any of it. With ten minutes gone Hughes stretched the lead to 19 points following a superb kick from about 40 meters out. Kilkenny eased up on the accelerator and at this moment they lost their formidable No.8, Philly Ryan through suspected concussion causing them to slightly lose their momentum.

Malahide capitalised on this and Kilkenny soon found themselves on the back foot. 20 minutes into the half, Kilkenny were caught napping and the visitors drove over the line to score an unconverted try. Malahide were not to be stopped and minutes later they touched down again and with the conversion attempt bang on target they narrowed the gap further.

Kilkenny woke up and defended for the remainder of the game. Malahide looked like scoring on a number of occasions but thanks to the defensive power of the entire Kilkenny squad, they managed to hold out until the final whistle.

Eddie Brennan and Alan McIntyre were without doubt the masters on the day, and apart from the usual brilliant display from Duggan the whole Kilkenny team put in a very solid performance and came away with a well-deserved win. Malahide did manage to secure a bonus point however which it is hoped will not be detrimental to the Kilkenny effort come end of season.

Kilkenny are away to Gorey in the Leinster League on Saturday. They will be looking to avenge the defeat suffered at the hands of Gorey two weeks ago in the South East League. Kilkenny will hopefully be at full strength for this tie and a win is expected. Kick off in Gorey is 8.00pm.

Kilkenny Rugby Club would like to congratulate the victorious Kilkenny hurling team on their fabulous win in The All-Ireland final on Sunday and look forward to welcoming the Liam McCarthy cup to Foulkstown in the coming weeks. This event will hopefully be coupled with a visit by the Heineken Cup together with members of the victorious Leinster squad, demonstrating the close ties between rugby and hurling in the city and county.

Kilkenny Firsts: - Clive Grehan, Alan O’Donovan, Julian Hughes, Alan Pembroke, Killian Everard, Stephen Brennan, Clive Kavanagh, Philly Ryan, Willie Duggan, Ray Pembroke, Gerry Clarke, Victor Ryan, Eddie Brennan, Tom Massey, Wayne Kavanagh.
Subs: - Simon O’Shea, Martin Leahy, Alan McIntyre, Kevin O’Toole, Victor Harper.