Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  

Kilkenny Seconds Mutilate Mullingar
J2: Leinster League 24/10/10

Kilkenny - 56
Mullingar - 09

Weather – fantastic! Playing conditions – fantastic! Kilkenny Seconds – FANTASTIC!! This is the only way to describe this seconds Leinster League tie against Mullingar in Foulkstown on Sunday.

An under-strength Mullingar squad was not excuse enough for this superb display of rugby from Kilkenny that delighted the home fans and proved to the rest of Leinster that the Nore-siders are definitely the team to beat in this competition.

Kilkenny scored 8 converted tries in total thus securing the bonus point early in the game.

The home side opened the scoring on 5 minutes when outhalf, Keith Brennan crossed the line following a line out in the Mullingar 22m with Quentin Hearne adding the conversion points. Ten minutes later the mighty Eddie Brennan charged through the Mullingar defence from the opponents 22m line and driven on by his his fellow forwards crashed over the line to score just left of the posts, making the conversion attempt easy for Hearne.

Kilkenny grew stronger and stronger as the game progressed and harassed and bullied Mullingar up front for the remainder of this half. Kilkenny were caught offside at a ruck and Mullingar opened their scoring with a fine kick from their outhalf. Kilkenny, however, quickly replied direct from the restart when Conor Bass touched down for the home side with on form Hearne adding the points.

Indiscipline briefly crept into the Kilkenny game and on 29 minutes were penalised again in their own 22 for handling the ball in the ruck. Mullingar opted for the posts and their outhalf succeeded in his attempt. This was not to phase the Kilkenny players and 3 minutes later Eddie Brennan charged over the line to score his second try which Hearne converted.

With the game practically out of reach for Mullingar at this stage Kilkenny held out until the half-time whistle and went into the break 28 – 6 in front.

Mullingar restarted the second half and Kilkenny knocked the ball forward resulting in a Mullingar scrum 30meters from the Kilkenny line. Kilkenny were penalised for pushing before the ball entered the scrum and the Mullingar outhalf took the opportunity to slot the ball between the posts. That was the final score for Mullingar as the home side dominated the game for the rest of the half.

James Blanchfield crossed the line on 52 mins, Alan Pembroke on 60 minutes, Philly Walsh on 69 and Ray Pembroke on 73. Quentin Hearne added the points on all but the last try where Keith Brennan took over the kicking duties.

Kilkenny can be proud of this win as they deserved every point they scored. Kilkenny were the much stronger side but that is not to say that Mullingar did not give it everything and were unlucky not to add a consolation try with 3 minutes left in the game.

Best for the homeside were fullback, Philly Walsh, flanker Ray Pembroke and tight-head prop, Eddie Brennan. Although these three players shone out on the day, this was a team win and every player gave his all to secure a well deserved win for the Nore-siders.

Kilkenny play Roscrea away in the Leinster League next Sunday and a win here would secure their position at the top of the table. Kick off 1pm

Kilkenny: Philly Walsh, Alan Pembroke, Vinnie O’Shea, Niall Tyrrell, Rod Hogan, Keith Brennan, Quentin Hearne, Conor Bass, Ray Pembroke, James Blanchfield, Brendan McIntyre, Ben Dyer, Eddie Brennan, Brian Hanrahan, Kevin Oates.

Replacements: Jimmy Dunne, Brian Nolan, Dave Matthews, Aaron Roe, Ger Flood.

- By Padraic Treacy -