Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  

Leinster League 03/10/10
J1: Kilkenny 20-09 Edenderry

On a bright and sunny autumn day at Foulkstown Kilkenny 1sts took on Leinster league opponents Edenderry in their third game of this competition. It was an uncompromising encounter with Edenderry proving to be tough adversaries. Kilkenny were eventual winners scoring three tries, a conversion and one penalty to Edenderry’s three penalties. Kilkenny needed to win this game as home points are vital in this competitive league. They are currently in second place with just three games played and will need to maintain a good home record while stealing as many away points as possible.

From the start Kilkenny were in control but lost much of their shape as Edenderry grew into the game, causing the Kilkenny forwards major problems in the loose, turning over a lot of ball. Kilkenny were first on the score board with a well struck penalty from outhalf, Barry Daly, on 15 minutes. Barry had earlier been unsuccessful with a drop goal attempt. Edenderry responded with some fine forward play with which Kilkenny found difficult to deal.

With Kilkenny on the back foot Willie Duggan, Killian Everard and Colm Brady made some try saving tackles to allow Kilkenny to regroup and edge their way back into the contest. On the 25th minute winger Killian Everard was to cross the line after some hard fought forward exchanges. Killian was put through to the corner after fullback Conor Brady drew the defence. The conversion was duly converted by Barry Daly.

Edenderry were to continue to cause disruption to Kilkenny’s game plan but faced some committed defending from Mark Coughlan and Lee Wilson in the centre. Willie Duggan once more showed his ball carrying prowess in taking and returning kick-offs, Willie was outstanding throughout. Victor Harper at scrumhalf was to make some tenacious tackles when Edenderry were threatening. Victor’s game statistics proved him to be a worthy man of the match.

The half time score saw Kilkenny leading narrowly by 10-3.

From the restart Kilkenny were to lose yet more of their structure and cohesiveness allowing Edenderry to dominate much of the forward engagements. While Kilkenny’s lineouts were excellent their scrummaging was poor, showing strain and often lacking in aggression.

Kilkenny’s second try was to come from a training ground move with backs coach Barry Daly, a late replacement for regular outhalf Dave McMahon, providing fullback Conor Brady with an easy finish under the posts. Daly was to retire with a suspected hamstring injury? and was replaced by the able Conor O’Brien. The successful conversion by O’Brien was to leave the score 17-3 in favour of the Noresiders.

Edenderry once more took the game to Kilkenny with some cutting attack play which, yet again, left Kilkenny’s defence wrong footed, as a result Edenderry were to register another six points with two penalties against Kilkenny for indiscipline at the breakdown.

Kilkenny continuing to struggle, however, showed character by forcing Edenderry to make mistakes, resulting in the final score of the game falling to the boot of Conor O’Brien with an excellent penalty.

Some obvious problems on the day were to be partially rectified by the introduction of Kevin Oates at number 3 for Nigel Daly. Gerry Clarke, Alan O’Donovan and Robert Kelly were also to make an impression.

The next fixture is away to Clane for both J1 and J2, on Sunday 10 th October, in the Leinster League. Kick-offs: 1.30pm and 3pm.

Team: Wayne Kavanagh, James Coady, Nigel Daly, James Blanchfield, Ben Dyer, Ger Costelloe, Tristram Dyer, Willie Duggan, Victor Harper, Barry Daly, Lee Wilson, Mark Coughlan, Alan Pembroke, Killian Everard, Colm Brady

Replacements: Rob Kelly, Alan O’Donovan, Conor O’Brien, Kevin Oates, Gerry Clarke.