Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  


Kilkenny 15 New Ross 28

This was another poor defeat for Kilkenny on their home ground on Sunday afternoon in the Leinster League. Last Sunday away to Garda they left a 19 - 0 lead slip by but in the game against near neighbours New Ross they never looked like been in contention.

The visitors won scoring four tries which gave them a bonus point and denied Kilkenny that comfort. Kilkenny will wonder what has gone wrong with a side which are always able to compete. It is still a good side but appear to lack confidence and cohesion. The spirit and committment which was their in recent seasons needs to be brought back into play.

If you want to take positives from the game look at the performance of full back Killian Everard who scored two tries . He had a busy afternoon defending but two opportunities came his way and he executed both with perfection. It must be also said his determination was the main reason for the scores. Another player to show positive reaction was winger Gareth Hayes who tried hard throughout the eighty minutes. A little work could turn the season around but it needs to begin straight away.

The seconds lost out in a close battle against the same club on a scoreline of 22 points to 19. Klikenny went behind on a number of occassions but fought back and a little luck might have brought about a better result. The spirit in the side looks good and will see better days ahead. Coaches Danny McEvoy and Ray Pembroke have work to do but their efforts and that of the players will see results as the season picks up.

Only eighteen minutes had gone when New Ross centre Kieran Howlin intercepted and ran in under the posts for a converted try. Not the start Kilkenny had wanted but within five minutes Conor O Brien had them back in contention with a penalty. It finished the scoring in the first half but just before the break Gareth Hayes had a good run along the touchline before being bundled into touch.

Four minutes into the second half New Ross extended their lead with a converted try and repeated the same in the 23rd minute . With the score at 21 points to 3 Kilkenny had to do something and it came in the 25th minute. A chip into the New Ross 22 metre line by Julian Hughes gave Kilkenny a chance but a knock on spoiled the move.

From the resulting scrum New Ross failed to find touch and the alert Killian Everard gathered and made for the line. He kicked over the advancing opposition and won the race to touch down for the try.The come back was halted in the 33rd minute when New Ross struck for a converted try. However the final say fell to Kilkenny when Hughes and Hayes linked up to send Killian Everard for his second try which he converted himself.

Next Sunday its away to Tullow so it will be a hard week for both players and the coaching team to get things right. Players subs are now due and Murt Crotty will be on hand Friday night to collect them.

President Lar Foley intends holding an open day for current members and new members on October 18th when the club entertain Wicklow in Foulkstown.

Wayne Kavanagh David Buckley Max Vidella Victor Ryan Philip Ryan Alan McIntyre Liam Phelan Rod O Donoghue (c) Nigel Daly Julian Hughes Gareth Hayes Alan Pembroke Conor O Brien Mick O Grady Killian Everard Subs Kieran McArdle James Blanchfield Ger Costelloe Matt Comerford Tom Massey Seconds M.Hennigan J Dunne E Brennan B McIntyre L Meighan D Matthews Q Hearne B Daly S Manuel G Maher A Vergo B Nolan G Tector K Brennan

JI Tullow A Sun LL 3pm
J2 Tullow A Sun LL 1.30pm

Sean O'Shea, 4th October 2009