Kilkenny Rugby Football Club - HOME>  

Newbridge 32 Kilkenny 12

Kilkenny will be very disappointed with both the result and the scoreline in this Leinster League game away last Sunday. They got the ideal start when Dave McMahon making a welcome return for Kilkenny converted a penalty in the 4th minute to start the show on the road.Then almost immediately they allowed Newbridge to score two easy tries which they converted and the scoreline was 14 points to 3.

The first try came froma blockdown and the second from a lineout which gave the scrumhalf plenty of space to score in the corner.Just before the break McMahon kicked a penalty to leave the half time score 14 points to 6 in favour of the home side.

In the 33rd minute of the first half a Killian Everard break was halted five metres from the Newbridge line . It was followed with a lineout being awarded to Newbridge. The lineout was robbed by a magnificent leap by Victor Ryan and Kilkenny drove for the line. The drive by Kilkenny pushed Newbridge back over their own line but the referee claimed he could not see the ball grounded by a Kilkenny player and the chance was gone.

Kilkenny had put in a good work like performance but a lack of concentration had cost them dearly with those early tries. Had the Kilkenny try been awarded it would have given the team a big lift for the second half.

Early in the second half McMahon was again on target with a penalty but the home side struck back with a similar effort. In the 17th minute of the half McMahon brought his team close when he kicked a penalty to leave the score 17 points to 12 and we thought the challenge was being laid down. The next score would prove vital but unfortunately it was Newbridge who scored a penalty.

The Kilkenny game plan began to fall asunder and the home side ran in two more tries in the 31st and 36th minute to secure a bonus point. Kilkenny did not deserve the scoreline but then you must hand it to Newbridge for taking full advantage of the chances presented to them.

The Kilkenny pack put in a great performance but they could not get quick ball away quickly to the backs to work with. Some of it was down to the Newbridge forwards using tactics which slowed up the ball being played to the backline.

The seconds had a great win 25 points to 19 having to come from behind to get the result. It was 7 points apiece at the interval following two converted tries with Conor Bass scoring for Kilkenny. The second half began with two Barry Daly drop goals before Newbridge scored a try to go in front. Tries from James Blanchfield and Vinnie O Shea sealed victory for Kilkenny. This game was played in the old Curragh pitch.

This weekend its the Provincial Towns Cup tie at home to Dundalk with the game being brought forward to Saturday at 2.30pm. This will allow both players and supporters to enjoy the club function in Langton House Hotel the same night.

Congratulations to former player Adrian O Shaughenessy and his wife Gemma on the birth of their baby daughter Grace recently.

Kilkenny: W Kavanagh J Cody M Vidella P Ryan V Ryan A McIntyre J Phelan W Duggan N Daly D McMahon M O Grady A Pembroke C Phelan K Everard P O Flynn

Seconds: K Brennan A O Malley S Manuel V O Shea A O Donovan Q Hearne B Daly M Hennigan B Nolan E Brennan J Blanchfield J Corr G Clark G Costelloe C Bass J Dunne R Pembroke P McCorry S Rafferty Iko Tvildiani

Sean O'Shea